Saturday, July 26, 2008

Baby Steps and the Boston Kreme

(Image courtesy of ktheory at flickr.com)
What do Heather Wright, Dave Mello, Hall Gill, and Aaron Ward have in common?

AMHL fans will recognize the names Wright and Mello; Bruins fans know about Gill and Ward. These four players love hockey, and they love the Boston Kreme donut.

I’m a big fan of these player but not of their favorite donut.

The Boston Kreme, one of Dunkin’ Donuts’ top sellers, would be too messy and too sweet. I like my donuts tidy, no spillage. And too much sugar would force me into giving up on my donut after one or two bites.

Might I be wrong?

At our favorite Dunkin’ Donuts last week, the AMHL Photographer ordered a Boston Kreme. I stuck with my standard, the Chocolate Frosted. We sat down at our regular table, in the corner. My wife then extended her hand toward me, offering me a bite of the Boston Kreme.

No thanks.

“Chicken,” she taunted me.

She then bit into it, the vanilla stuff oozing from the center. Ick.

“Last bite?” she offered again.

I declined.

“You big baby,” she persisted.

My resolve wavering, I reached for what was left of the once-round specimen and then nibbled on it. Not bad. The “Kreme” filling surprised me. It wasn’t so much a rich cream as it was a subtle pudding. And as everybody knows, four out of five dentists would recommend pudding-filled donuts over cream-filled donuts to their patients who eat donuts. I finished it and was content with my progress.

Am I ready for an entire Boston Kreme?

The ooze factor still bothers me, but I’m open to more “baby steps” therapy.

I wonder if Wright, Mello, Gill, or Ward had to take baby bites before they could no longer resist the entire donut.

No comments: