Sunday, November 04, 2007

Week In Review: The Lighter Side

Eight days have passed since the booming hit on Patrice Bergeron, three since my AMHL Panthers lost to the Capitals, and almost one since the NHL Bruins lost to the Senators. Rather than dwell on Bergie’s concussion, the reasons we lost in OT on Thursday morning, or the B’s bungling of the PK, I bring you the lighter side of hockey.

Steve Carell: movie star, Massachusetts native, and gregarious goalie.

You may know him as Michael on The Office or Dan in Dan in Real Life, but as the AMHL Photographer and I learned this past week by watching the Late Late Show (on DVR so I didn’t have to stay up past my bedtime) with Craig Ferguson, Carell used to play hockey in Acton, MA.

On the show to presumably promote his latest movie (no hockey references in it, but I’d watch Dan in Real Life again), Carell instead bantered with his Scottish host about hockey. Hilarious stuff. But not yet on the Net.

Insatiable, I hopped on the World Wide Web to discover more about Carrell and his propensity for inserting hockey into his humor. In this video clip from the Late Show with David Letterman, Carrell tells us about his goalie mask; in this skit from the ill-fated Dana Carvey Show, our hero demonstrates his dedication to training.

That reminds me: I need to practice the fancy footwork I learned at hockey camp, write a couple reviews of hockey books you’ll soon find at Amazon.ca or Amazon.com and then settle in for the Bruin’s rematch against the Senators.

No comments: