Thursday, May 10, 2007

Bobby Orr, the Barbeque, and You

Ask almost any New Englander over the age of forty-five where he or she was on May 10, 1970.

The Rick, my former neighbor and forever friend, was at home, glued to WSBK-TV, when Bobby Orr scored “the Goal” against the St. Louis Blues. Rick, then in his early teens, didn’t mind that his family was watching the Red Sox lose to the Oakland Athletics on another channel or that the vertical hold on his TV set wasn’t working.

Watching the same UHF-based broadcast that afternoon was my work colleague (her first job was at Patty’s donut shop in Maynard, MA) and her boyfriend. The couple, now married, watched Bobby beat the Blues from his home on Johnson Street in West Roxbury, MA.

Where was I that Mother’s Day? Don’t remember. I was a six-year-old Long Islander who hadn’t yet been introduced to the lore of Orr.

Now, thirty-seven years later, I’ve seen the footage of that famous feat countless times. It hasn’t got old, either. Neither has the kid from Parry Sound. He still has a full head of hair and appears youthful.

I’ve never seen him in person, but I have a plan to meet Number FORR. And I need your help!

You see, Bobby Orr, an agent, is also a spokesman for Boston Cedar & Millwork, which is sponsoring a contest where you could win a cedar deck for your home. If you win the contest, Orr will attend a catered barbeque on your brand new cedar deck. When you win, you’ll invite the AMHL photographer and me, along with twenty-three other guests, to meet the local legend.

I’ll bring the donuts.

No comments: