Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

(image courtesy of Julie at flickr.com)


I realize I’m a day late, but….Happy Columbus Day! No, Happy Army and Navy Day! (Azerbaijan). Wait, ¡Feliz Día de Comunidad! (Spain). I mean, Happy National Dignity Day! (Peru). Or, how about…Happy Thanksgiving!

Canadians enjoyed a legal holiday yesterday…a day at home to enjoy with family, eating turkey and watching football. Thanksgiving traditions in Canada don’t differ much more from those in the States except that in the Heartland of Hockey, the home teams are Montreal and Toronto, not Detroit and Dallas. And, after watching those back-to-back Thanksgiving Day Classic CFL games on the CBC, many Canadians remained glued to the tube to watch hockey. The Leafs beat the Panthers, but the Flames were snuffed by the Sharks.

I didn’t watch any hockey yesterday because I was at work for 13 hours, but I’m not complaining. I’m thankful to have a job…and for a few other things:

· A Bruins’ win last Saturday night

· “Rocky Mountain High” on my iPod

· The Broncos’ win last night at Mile High

· An undefeated record in the fantasy football league that AMHL goaltender, fine Canadian, and friend Ken Tarr roped me into joining

· The Tim Hortons ceramic coffee mug I have in my office

· Language-learning skills

· A funny and talented wife

…and regular readers in Colorado, new readers in Bahrain, and faithful fans from Canada! Thanks! Merci!

No comments: